29 January 2014

It makes you laugh.

Day 9 tomorrow.

Although this is serious, I must tell you about a hilarious 'conversation' (I use  the word conversation with reservation as it did get heated) that I had on Monday with a 'person' who had stolen my work.  She doesn't merit the title of lady!!!

I noticed she'd taken this image and put it on her blog.  Not a problem as it was linked to my site.  BUT underneath that was the pattern to go with it.  It had been taken and somehow converted from the original pdf file with my name and copyright notice removed - NO link to my site.  Now that IS naughty.  No mention of the designer at all.  I originally noticed this blog last October but found there was no way to contact on her.  Time went on and I put it to the back of my mind - as you do.

Then on Monday I noticed she'd added another picture that was a copy of a new idea on another tatter's site.  I contacted the other tatter and she wasn't too worried but would probably have contacted the blog owner if there'd been any way to do that.  

Later that day my friend came back to me as she'd found that the blog owner had now (within the past week) set up an Etsy shop.  EUREKA.  Etsy have a convo link so off I went and 'asked' her to take my pattern off her blog.  She said she didn't think she could as she wasn't sure she knew how to get into the blog.

That's funny, I said, when you managed to put a picture up there the day before (same one in her Etsy shop)!!!  So our convo got a bit heated and I had to really laugh when she said she didn't even LIKE my patterns and I was to stop harassing her or she'd report me to Etsy!!!!  The pattern has now been removed but if it hadn't I would've taken further action - in fact I'd already contacted somebody about it who knows how to handle those situations.  There's also a whole book up there on her blog which is still under copyright.  

So, what I want to know is why you'd steal something you don't like?  

Answers on a tatting shuttle (or make a comment!!) to me, please!!!

16 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

What is also puzzling is why she would copy and provide your pattern when your patterns are available to all?? There's nowt so strange as folks.

Ninetta said...

first, it's impossible she doesn't like at least a subset of your billions of patterns, then why not put a link? It's nice as though you put a bookmark, or a note to find you again.

Tally Tatty said...

There is only one solution, Jane, and that is to make an official cmoplaint.

Elizabeth said...

I think a complaint would certainly be in order. It is unblieveable what some people will do.

Jane Eborall said...

Well, folks if you want to read what she's saying about me - email me privately and I'll give you the link!!! It's SOOOO funny!

GraceT said...

That's horrible! I guess we just have to make sure everyone knows where your patterns really come from.

Marty said...

It's amazing what people think they can get away with. They don't seem to realize that the internet is pretty well open to anybody and we can find things even on their insignificant blogs. Letting people know what's going on, like you've done, helps because people can find that as well. Some times shame is the only thing that works.

tattrldy said...

As my daughter would say "Some people's children!" It is strange she "doesn't like" your patterns - most of us don't like to claim our own mistakes and 'uglies', why would she put up someone else's and claim it??

kelli said...

If you can't create patterns yourself, you shouldn't steal them from those who can. On another note; what software do you use for diagramming? Thanks. And sorry.

Jane Eborall said...

Oh, kelli I use a mac and the drawing software I bought is called EazyDraw. I love it!!!!

Unknown said...

People just say they don't like it because they realize they got caught and they don't have any proof that it was theirs. So they snip at you for it being yours. :). I just started my own pattern of a love bird and I will make sure I don't post it until I get it in a book and copyright it. I will e- mail it to you though Jane, I know you won't claim it as your own.

Jane Eborall said...

No problem, Denise. I'll test it for you if you like. Even copyrighted books aren't safe from people. Just go to Pinterest or Facebook to see how many are out there. In fact patterns in books are just as likely to get stolen. It seems that people who pay for a design assume it's theirs to do what they like with!!!!

victats@gmail.com said...

It's sad when people take advantage and then act all righteous when they are caught.

Anonymous said...

Bad thing is that often nothing is done, even when they're caught.
Stephanie

Andrea Gaskell said...

OOOOOH ... naughty girl .. send me the link!! ;) You really should complain tho!
xx

Jane Eborall said...

Drop me a line, Andrea and I'll send you the links.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.